Blueberry, Raspberry and Citrus Cake
INGREDIENTS FOR CAKE
225g Golden Caster Sugar
250g SR flour
25g Ground Almonds
100g Raspberries, Fresh or Frozen (thawed)
FOR THE SYRUP
100g Golden Caster Sugar
Makes 12 slices
Prep: 25 mins
Cook: 1hr 15 mins
1. Grease and line a 20 cm/8 inch cake tin. Pre-heat oven to 180C/Gas 4/Fan oven 160C.
2. Cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the lime zest. Beat in the eggs one at a time. Fold in the sieved flour and almonds. Add enought lime juice (about 3 tablespoons) to give a soft dropping consistency.
3. Fold in two thirds of the blueberries and raspberries. Pour into prepared cake tin then smooth the remainder of the fruit into the top.
4. Bake until firm when the top of the cake is gently pressed. Then test with a fine warm skewer. It should come away clean.
5. Leave to cool slightly while you make the syrup. Put the lemon zest, juice and sugar in a saucepan and gently heat. Stir until the sugar is dissolved.
6. Prick the cake all over with a skewer, then pour the syrup slowly over it. When it is all absorbed, remove cake from tin.
7. Slice and serve warm or cold. It freezes well.